Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Chasing after my Dutch ancestry

Every so often my kids ask me again about the Anneke Jans story. Which of course makes me want to look into my New Netherlands Dutch ancestry again.  While out this morning I learned that the New Netherlands Institute is putting A LOT of information online! Stand up shout for joy and do a happy dance.

First, the online publications list is extensive and appears to be growing.  I have bookmarked Minutes of the Court of Albany, Rensselaerswyck and Schenectady, 1668–1685 to trace the few ancestors I know who were in trouble with the government. 

Of course the amount of history that is out there is nothing to shake your leg out. I spent half a day on this and the historical timeline of The Netherlands and Scandinavia in North America.  Really, who doesn't love a timeline?!

If you have New Netherlands ancestry go check this site out!!  Then, if you find it very worth while, think about joining.  I know am seriously thinking about taking that plunge.

Look out for posts in the near future about what I discovered on this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment