Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, October 2, 2017

Recording trauma for posterity


I woke up at 5 am this morning, rolled over grumbling, and then turned on the news. Shock, horror, and disbelief was what I went though for the rest of the morning.  Maybe you have listened to or watched the news on and off during the day listening to the story unfold.  For me, I turned to my black notebook. The one where I store my feelings and thoughts on what could be considered important dates in history for a variety of reasons.

When I was newly married I attended the traditional holiday dinner held at a local restaurant for my mother's family. I had not attended in years.  College was in the way. I had, you know, stuff to do.  This time however I was living in the area again and a new mom who really needed to get out of the house. 

The conversation turned to asking the older members at the table where they were on certain days in history.  Pearl Harbor, JFK's assassination, the moon landing and etc. My great aunts and uncles spoke about the events, and one of them spoke about how important it would be for future generations to document OUR stories on the events we live through for our posterity. How else would our descendants learn about or know us better? These words have stuck with me.

While you may not create a black notebook of doom (as I secretly call it) you may want to think about recording your thoughts and feelings on various events that have occurred during your lifetime. I mean, we are the best people to record our own history right? Even if it is hard, one day it may bring us perspective, or closure, on events.

I have written my views, thoughts, hopes, and prayers today in my journal. In my gut I know I am going to be writing more over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment