Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

WDYTYA, #genchat, and an aftershow. What a great way to spend an evening!

So, be honest, how many of you have been religiously watching the recent season of WDYTYA on TLC?  I only missed one episode, but I have a pass since I was camping in a field in the middle of Pennsylvania at the time. No TV makes for a pretty good excuse, and I just love my DVR.  Here’s another question for you:  how many of you knew that there were live twitter chats and an after show hosted by the In-Depth Genealogist (IDG)

Before I go any further, I want to point out to everyone that you can follow Twitter chats without having a twitter account yourself.  You can use the Twitter Search function and search for the hashtags or subject you want to read (#genchat or #wdytya for instance). 

The IDG has begun hosting #genchat sessions during the live airing of the WDYTYA episodes starting at 9 p.m. EST.  For those of you unfamiliar with #genchat, it is a twitter chat where genealogists of all levels and flavors come together every two weeks to discuss a specific topic.  You can read more about it in these posts I wrote on this blog found here and here

Reading along with everyone’s thoughts and reactions to the show in real time is really wonderful.  It is always great to know that you aren’t the lone crazy person cheering, crying, getting angry, or being amazed by the show.  There is also a drinking (or chocolate eating) game many of the participants play…wild and crazy genealogists on the loose!

About 15 minutes after the show airs you can join a panel of genealogists and members of the IDG staff for an after show discussion on YouTube and Google+.  It is free form and the discussions are organic in their flow without a lot of prepared prompts.  Think of it as a group of friends who just watched an hour long show and then sat down to talk about their thoughts and impressions.  You never know what will happen in the end, but you know it will be good.  If you are not able to watch the after show live it is recorded and placed on their YouTube channel.  In fact, you can go back and see the previous shows as well!

Zooey Deschanel looking at an original
record 
on "Who Do You Think You Are?" 
Last night I had the good fortune to join the panel after the Zooey Deschanel episode.  You can watch it now on their YouTube Channel and hear all my thoughts and opinions on the show, history, genealogy, and the educational system.  Long story on the educational system, I don’t know how that keeps coming up, but it would be a long blog post in itself.  Go check it out, it was a good time, and I always love how people have different motivations, perspectives, and interests in this field.

I did misspeak in one of my statements.  It was the picture of husband’s 2nd great grandfather, not 4th, which I found at NARA last year.  You can read the post here.  If you watch the discussion you will see me talk about familiar blog topics: my kids, my husband, being a stay at home mom, history, and finding a great narrative to tell your family story. 


Hope you enjoy!

#genchat artwork from the IDG Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment