Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Week 34 of Abundant Genealogy

Week 34: Genealogy Challenges. Which genealogy challenge has given you the best sense of accomplishment? What was the research problem you had to hurdle? What steps did you take that led to success? Do you have any words of encouragement for others who are facing their own genealogy challenges?

Many of my posts here, and at Family Tree, have chronicled my research problems and how I found answers (if any) to them.  Feel free to peruse and read those posts that sound most intriguing to you.

My favorite ones are the ones where I have to do heavy duty research, over multiple platforms, to really gain the answers and insight into the problem that I have to solve.  For instance, finding a name and basic information is great.  Finding their home, reading up on what it was like at that time, researching the local area, looking at other places to find information that are not in the mainstream, and filling in the holes with details about their lives is what is very satisfying for me.

The only advise I can give is, as they say in Galaxy Quest, "never give up, never surrender."  Something new is made available every day in this community.  You may find your answer, tomorrow, next month, next year, or ten years from now, just don't stop looking.  There are plenty of people in your tree, if you get frustrated with one switch gears to another and come back later.  You may be surprised what a break can do for you.

photo credit: M.Angel Herrero via photo pin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment