Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Make sure to check out libraries along your trip!

On Monday and Tuesday I found myself down in the Williamsburg, VA area for the second time this summer.  Proud mama time: my oldest volunteered to participate in filming for an educational video through the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation.  So... the two boys and I packed up the truck and made the 2 hour drive down there again.  Not that I am complaining, I love the area, but I did have to find something to do with myself, and the youngest, for 2 hot July days. 

Sunday night at the hotel I searched the internet for local area genealogy collections.  Last time we were in the area we spent a few extra days with my hubby (had to work in the area) and I was able to spend a few hours at another genealogy library in Norfolk, VA.  You can read that post here.  My sights this time closed in on one: The John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library.  This library focuses on Colonial British America, the American Revolution, and the early United States.  In addition it has a large section on Virginia history with many resources for each county. 

I only had a few hours in the mornings before I had to pick up my son, so I tried to make the most out of my visit.  Lots of areas to cover... hard to choose just one or two things to look for and not overwhelm myself.  My biggest success: finding the commission record for James Drake, my mother's 5th great grandfather who was made a 2nd Lt in the Virginia Militia. He was also a Methodist Minister.

Best part of the day:  when the librarian told me they do inter-library loans...

Image from flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment