Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Week 25 of Abundant Genealogy

Week 25: Genealogy Database Software: Database programs have revolutionized the way we store and record our genealogy. Which one is your favorite? What are some of the tools and perks of the program that enhance your family history research? Share a link to the company website or vendor so others may learn more about this product.

I use Family Tree Maker from Ancestry.com.  This was the first place I got my genealogy toes wet and it seemed like a good idea to stick with what I was familiar with.  They update it frequently and have several features I really enjoy. 

* Ability to search the Internet from the program and attach information directly from the pages
* iPad app for on the go research (or sitting on the couch)
* Many charts, graphs, and forms
* Auto-sync from desktop application to online tree, and vice-versa
* On the dashboard you can see if you have messages or hints

So far it has been very user friendly and my only complaint has been re-doing all the source citations.  Yes, I am very picky and it has been an on going process.

*Image from the Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment