Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, June 8, 2012

Week 23 of Abundant Genealogy

Week 23: Family Traditions: For which family tradition are you most thankful? How did the tradition start? Which family members have been responsible for keeping the tradition alive and how has it shaped your own family history?

This has been a real stumper for me.  I can't think of any long lasting, multi generational, traditions.  Neither could my husband.  We have been together almost 20 years and we can't think of anything that we do that could be called a tradition.  Unless you count our annual pilgrimage to the grandparents for the winter holidays. 

The few memories I have of anything vaguely resembling a tradition revolves around food.  For example: at Christmas my Grandma Arvin would make a homemade cranberry relish.  My dad makes it on occasion now and then, and so do I.  It always reminds me of her, and many of the funnier moments growing up when you can laugh at someone blowing up a blender full of food all over themselves and the kitchen.

To be honest it is an easy recipe, but the key is letting it stew in its juices.  If you don't it is really bitter.  The longer it sits in the fridge the sweeter it gets.  I am guilty of one too many times not letting it sit long enough.  The pursed lips of my family from across the table and the look from my husband is the first clue that while I like it not everyone does.

Ingredients:
Bag whole cranberries frozen (helps with chopping)
1 large naval orange
1 large green apple
1 quirt lemon juice
Sugar

Directions:
In a food processor (or blender) add the cranberries, and 1/4 of the orange peel.  Chop finely.  Separately slice the oranges and apples (with skin on) into thin pieces.  Add the cranberries, oranges, and apples to a bowl.  Squirt some lemon juice in it and sugar to taste (at least 1/2 a cup).  Stir and let sit for 1/2 an hour in the refrigerator.  Serve cold.

Maybe it will make an appearance at a dinner table this winter... and hopefully not all over the kitchen first.

*Image: Muffet via photo pin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment