Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Harry Coad to John McElroy, Editor National Tribune 1916

Letter from Harry Coad to John McElroy
Located at the National Archives, Washington, DC
Harry Coad / Henry Thompson Pension File
Grand Pass MO
6 / 6 / 1916

Mr. John McElroy
Editor Natunal Tribune
Washington, DC

My Dear Sir.

Will you try to assist an old soldier, who is in great need of help. 

I am sevety six years old, and not able to work anymore.  My wife is an invalid and can’t work, and we are in destitute circumstances, and now appeal to you for our much needed help.

I served in the rebelun from beginning to the end of that great strife, and now I am asking you to assit me to get a pension, which I am in great need.

Last Aug I sent for application blanks, got them, and fill them out and returned them, and in Sept I rec, a registered card and a note saying every thing is OK, and I really thought I would rec my first pension about now, but the rest of the old comrads have all received their payment and I have not.  Will you ples lend me a much needed helping hand and see if you can get my claims in order for me.

This is the numbers on my card Co B, 5 Reg, MO inf
IO.1H215HH
GM Saltzgerber, Com.

Keeping and praying that you will do all you can for me, and that I will very soon, get the pension that I so much need, I will thank you in advance and aniously wait.

I served as a soldier
H.C. Thompson
Please address me,
H.M. Coad
Box 21 Grand Pass, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment