Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Harry Coad Pension Letter May 1916

Letter to the Bureau of Pensions from Harry Coad
Located at the National Archives, Washington, DC
Harry Coad / Henry Thompson Pension File

Grand Pass MO
May 31, 1916
Bureau of Pensions.
Washington DC

Gentleman:

Yours of May 25 at hand and I will say, I lost my discharge, and do not know where any of my comrades are, but can give you names of half the company I was in if that will do any good.  Was born August 31, 1840, Springfield, Sangamon Co., Ill but I know of no way to prove it as my father, mother, sisters, and brothers are all dead except my youngest brother, and first now I don’t know if address, but will make an effort to get it if it is necessary.

Lived in St. Louis, during the summers of 1850-1868.  My father’s name was Geo. Washington Thompson.  My mother’s name was, Sarah D. Thomspon, (nee McChesney).  My Sisters, Margaret, Harriett, and Elisabeth were alive in June 1850 1860.

Resptbly,
Harry M Coad alias
Henry Clay Thompson

*Note: in his later depositions he states he can no longer write, nor sign is name.  It is my feeling (as the handwritting does not change in all the letters) that this is his daughter Ida, whom lived close by, writing his letter for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment