Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fearless Females: Strength

Moment of Strength: Share a story where a female ancestor showed courage or strength in a difficult situation.

Once again I turn to my grandmothers for this post.  They both died from complications caused by cancer.  Each fought every moment until their bodies failed them, and showed more courage than anyone I have ever seen. 

My Grandma Arvin lived with us for her last two years.  She had breast cancer, which resulted in a double mastectomy.  Nothing could keep her down; she would shuffle around the house with her walker and was just as warm and kind as ever.  In fact, she is most likely the reason I am with my husband.  Looking out for me until the end.

Grandma Combs had a year long struggle with colon cancer.  In her last few months all the cousins would come and visit, which she enjoyed but made her sad.  I was among the closest, and would visit frequently from college.  One weekend I was there and my cousin John visited with his family.  After left he left she cried to me.  Telling me how brave they all are coming to visit her, and how blessed she was to have wonderful grandchildren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment