Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Fearless Females: Social Butterfly

Social Butterfly? What social organizations or groups did your mother or grandmother belong to? Sewing circle, church group, fraternal benefit society or lodge? Describe her role in the group.

My family hasn't been big into joing groups.  You should have heard the comments when I stated I was interested in joining the DAR, let alone when I joined Alpha Chi Sigma in college.   Joining groups like the Girl Scouts, volunteer organizations, historical renactment groups, and the like have been a joy for me.

I know there were a few organizations that my female ancestors joined for political or professional reasons, purley because it was expected of them.  My father's mother was a member, and president at one time, of her teachers union.  She was also very active in the AAUW.  My mother's mother was in the Eastern Star and was very active in the officer's wives club while grandfather was in the service.  Mom was in 4-H through high school and as a child the Girl Scouts.  In college she was in the Army ROTC.  As a professional she belongs to neumerous organizations that relate to her postion not only as an Army officer, but as an orthopedic surgeon. 

*Image Library of Congress: Reception tea at the National Womens [i.e., Woman's] Party to Alice Brady, famous film star and one of the organizers of the party

No comments:

Post a Comment