Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fearless Females: Heirlooms

Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)

One of my most treasured items is a music box that was given to me by my Grandmother Combs before her death.  It is a music box that my father had given her decades before, and started her music box collection.  She collected many music boxes in all shapes, sizes, and styles. 

From an early age I just loved this music box, with its soft tinkling sound.  I would watch the old couple spin slowly on its base mesmerized.  Grandma told me once that when I was very little I would call it “Grandma and Grandpa” and then point to her and grandpa.  He died when I was about 2 ½ so I carry  this memory in my heart to help remember him.

No comments:

Post a Comment