Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fearless Females: Children

Tell how a female ancestor interacted with her children. Was she loving or supportive? A disciplinarian? A bit of both?

The only interactions I know of are the ones between my mom and myself.  My parents have told me about how they were raised, but never in great detail.  I can piece together that my grandmothers were very different.  One was a stay at home mom, one worked.  They were both caring, and loving.  Pushed their children to do the right things, and to never settle.  Each of them felt that their kids could do great things.  Like most parents. 

My mom was mostly absent from my early life.  She was in college from the time I was born to 4 years old, then worked as a high school math teacher for two years.  The next two years she was in grad school, and finishing her pre-med requirements.  Ages 8-12 she was in medical school, then there was a year of internship, a year as a General Medical Officer, then four years of residency.  So, yeah... she wasn't home much.

When my mom was available she did her best.  Most of our interactions focused on academic advancement, athletic training (the discipline and the advancement of my sports) or shopping.  Yes, as a woman she has the shopping gene and at times we took full advantage of this common trait.  Especially after she was out of residency.  My favorite times were when she was stationed in Germany.  A college student and her mother on a shopping spree in Europe... dangerous!

*Image: quinn.anya via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment