Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Time flies when you are having fun at RootsTech

SLC at Sunset 24 Feb 2020

I arrived Monday night in Salt Lake City, and today is the first time I have sat down to write anything about the conference. Yes, I have been that busy! But it is a good busy, so let me catch you up on some of the fantastic things that are going on here.

First off, I did make my trek to the Family History Library on Tuesday. Of course, the floors were packed with many excited researchers. I lucked out and found a couple of books I needed and have not found at any library in Virginia. Even better, I used the book scanner there. So great! It does not put pressure on the spine of the books, and you have a nice PDF of your pages downloaded to your thumb drive. Much lighter (and environmentally friendly) than carrying papers back home with me. Yes, I could have taken pictures with my phone, or used my phone scanner, but it was a new tool to try out! Can you blame me?

Photo by Terri O'Connell
It was my pleasure to attend the speaker's social and media dinner on Tuesday night. These times are always special to me as I get to see people I do not get to see very often in a more relaxed setting. We are here to work (either speaking or reporting and sometimes both), and these events are the kick-off for a high paced four days. I can never thank the event staff enough for all they do for us as well.

My first presentation is done. I spoke yesterday (and will give the lecture again on Saturday) on "What to do when the vital record is wrong?" It was the first recorded lecture I have presented at RootsTech, so I was a bit nervous. Thankfully my friends in the audience said I did great. I think I can believe them, right?!

Photo by Amie
Bowser Tennant
Last night when the expo hall doors opened to the public there was an amazing phenomenon. Hundreds (and hundreds) of kids with their parents poured into the Salt Palace. The expo hall is free for everyone and this kick-off of the 10th anniversary grew quite the crowd. I am still waiting to see if we get a count on how many were there!

Today is off and running! Talk to you more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment