Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, April 29, 2016

Love, loss and self curating

This week my latest post on America's Footprints went live.  It is titled "Don't Leave it For The Kids: The Art of Self-Curating."  I am going to be honest with you.  The post was a hard one to write.  However, it was necessary.

You see, my mother passed away unexpectedly a few months ago.  Maybe you have noticed the last
few months of odd posting and near radio silence on my business social media.  Sorry, it may be a while before I am back up and running at 100%.
Me and my mother on
my wedding day

The week after my mother's death we started the process of cleaning, pitching, organizing and moving my father in with us.  As I did that, with the wonderful assistance of my husband and mother in law, all I could think of was a conversation I had several years ago over lunch with Denise Levenick, whose is also known as The Family Curator.

We were having lunch talk about something, what I cannot remember, but she told me that she self -curates.  I have to admit I must have gasped and looked at her funny.  Then I distinctly remember her telling me that she was serious, 'cause there were just somethings that her kids just didn't need to know or see.

I mulled that over, mostly because too many of my ancestors were the type that burned everything "not useful" after someone died.  to be fair, I am also a collector and it hurts me to throw something sentimental away. Now though, I totally see her point of view.

In the near future, I may begin to self-curate a few items myself.  It may hurt me, but in the long run, it will be well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Shannon, for a lovely post at what must a difficult time. I hope you will be able to take your time and give yourself breaks in this journey. And yes, it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete