Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Yates family research time: or what you can find in a newspaper with only an hour

"The Lighthouse" from Palo Duro Canyon
State Park. Canyon City, TX borders this
park. Image from the Library of Congress.

A 2nd cousin twice removed to my husband contacted me a few months ago looking for information, and I was a bad, bad genealogist friend.  I forgot to write her back, but I thought I had.  Yeah, let the flogging begin!  So to make amends I did some quick research into a family story and whoa did I get a good surprise.

In the early days of my genealogy research I did what we are all told to do, I interviewed the family. Even if it was like pulling nails at times I tried to extract information from them in any way possible. My father in law knew some, but not a lot about his family beyond dates and names.  One statement he made to me that stuck was that someone in his maternal grandmother's side of the family owned a hotel in Canyon City, Texas. He wasn't sure if it was her father or someone else though.

Eventually I found my husband’s 2nd great grandfather along with his wife and son living in Canyon City on the 1910 US Federal Census.  Eureka!  A Canyon City connection.  At that time however, that was all I could find. 

Through the Census records I learned he was still in Missouri during the 1900 census and then returned by 1920.  However, my skills weren’t the best in the beginning so this mystery sat while I worked on lines that needed more immediate attention.  Then the email came, and I felt awful.  So I sat out last night to see what I could find in a limited amount of time. 

In the 1900 US Census[1] Eugene, Missouri, and two of their children are living in the same household in Grand Pass, Saline County, Missouri.  I have located most of his children in the general area as well.  But what happened to get him to Canyon City in 1910[2] and then back to Saline County in 1920[3]?

This is when last night I stumbled on The Portal to Texas History from the University of North Texas Libraries.  They have digitized and searchable records from all over the state of Texas.  I was able to locate 4 newspaper entries for Eugene moving to Canyon City plus then owning and selling a hotel there.

Notice in paper[4]:
“Eugene Yates, of Mt. Leonard, Missouri, moved here last week and on Monday opened up the Rogerson Hotel business.”
  
Review of Hotel:[5]
“Hotel Rogerson,
Eugene Yates & Son, Proprietors.
  One of the popular hotels in Canyon is the one run by Eugene Yates & Son- Here every guest is made to feel at home and no pains are spared to make everything comfortable.  The dining service at this hotel is hard to excel.
  The writer has traveled in almost every state in the union and can heartily say that at no hotel has he received more courteous treatment.
  All the rooms are nice and clean and the full register each day shows that the traveling public fully appreciate the excellent service the management is extending to all.  When in Canyon do not fail to register at the Rogerson.”


Notice:[6]
“Eugene Yates has quit the hotel business and will more to his residence, now occupied by Mr. Hatchell.”


Notice:[7]
“Change in Management
E. Yates, a former hotel man of this city, announces that he has leased the Rogerson Hotel in this city and will take charge next Monday.  He invites his former patrons and other to call and see him.”


Now I have a larger line of inquiry to search out which might take longer than an hour on the internet!  I will be the first to admit that my Texas research skills are not strong so if you have any suggestions on what my next steps are I would love to hear from you.


[1] 1900 U.S. Census, Saline County, Missouri, population schedule, Grand Pass Township, p 159 A (stamped), dwelling 210, family 212, Eugene Yates family; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed January 2012);  citing NARA microfilm publication T623.
[2] 1910 U.S. Census, Randall County, Texas, population schedule, Canyon Ward 3, p 10 11B (written), dwelling number 193, family 207, Eugene Yates family; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed January 2012); citing NARA microfilm publication T624, roll 1584.
[3] 1920 U.S. Census, Saline County, Missouri, population schedule, Grand Pass Township, p 9A (written), dwelling 184, family 200, Eugene Yates family; Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed January 2012); citing NARA microfilm publication T625, roll 962.
[4] Canyon City News. (Canyon City, Tex.), Vol. 9, No. 33, Ed. 1 Friday, October 27, 1905, Newspaper, October 27, 1905; (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth323011/ : accessed December 10, 2014), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries, Denton, Texas.
[5] Canyon City News. (Canyon City, Tex.), Vol. 10, No. 16, Ed. 1 Friday, June 29, 1906, Newspaper, June 29, 1906; (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth323044/ : accessed December 10, 2014), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries, Denton, Texas.
[6] Canyon City News. (Canyon City, Tex.), Vol. 10, No. 49, Ed. 1 Friday, March 1, 1907, Newspaper, March 1, 1907; (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth323078/ : accessed December 10, 2014), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries, Denton, Texas.
[7] Terrill, R. A., editor. The Randall County News. (Canyon City, Tex.), Vol. 12, No. 27, Ed. 1 Friday, October 2, 1908, Newspaper, October 2, 1908; (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth323158/ : accessed December 10, 2014), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries, Denton, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment