Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Book of Me Written by You: Still chugging along

I have been plugging and chugging away on this project, but not online.  A lot of the topics have called for more intimate reflection and even though I love you all, it is the internet.  So, I have taken to writing my thoughts on the weekly subjects in a word document.  One day it should make an interesting heirloom for the ancestors to read.

We are up to week 21 for those of you who were wondering.  If you want to start from the beginning you can go to the website for the creator of this prompt and check it out. Julie Goucher writes the blog Angler's Rest and she has an excellent post to get get you started.

Of course the questions and topics that she asks has just given me fodder to send on to my parents and in-laws for the books I bought them 2 years ago.  A couple of them admitted that they hadn't written in them yet when we visited last.  I told them that was okay, I don't want to push, but I did get my spirit crushed a little.  I hope they keep their promises of trying to answer my boys questions, and adding more, because 1) the boys really want them to and 2) I think this will be a great piece of history for the kids after their grandparents have passed.  Which lead me to thoughts that I need to keep up with this project.

There is not a better time for you to try a hand at journal writing if you don't already.  First, and the easiest way I think, is to turn a research journal into a more personal one.  While the research geeks in us love all the tid-bits found in a well organized research journal, think about the other things you could add that will make you family wish they knew you better in the future.  What was the drive like to the repository?  Any stories about the people you are researching that might get lost in a generation or two?  Well, why not write them down where you are adding the facts?

Alright, back to the grindstone.  Classwork, researching, and writing projects are on my to-do list for the day while my kids enjoy, another, snow day.  Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment