Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Crazy Ideas are my life

Today I had a completely crazy, yet horribly exciting, idea pop into my head. The next time I go home I want to map out a couple of the family cemeteries. Goofy right? But totally worth every minute of the pain it would be to do it!
 
I was searching between trees online trying to figure out ancestor relations between me and a couple other possible new cousins when it hit me. Over 1/2 of my Indiana ancestors are in 5 cemeteries. I know 5 may seem like a lot, but the area in Indiana I am looking at has nearly 200 that I know of, so 5 is really good in my book.
 
The ability to look at a map (with pictures maybe) and see how the families are laid out in the cemeteries would be great. If you can't tell, I am a very visual person. I have to see it, draw it myself usually, and then look it over in my head. That is the best way I learn. Write, draw, remember.
 
Maybe I can experiment with this idea on one of the smaller local cemeteries in my area of Virginia. See how I can make it more efficient before I go home... whenever that maybe.
 
Has anyone out there ever done anything like this?  Have any suggestions or tips? 
 
photo credit: Steve took it via photopin cc

8 comments:

  1. I've never done this, but I see exactly what you mean. I'm visual, too -- even now I can visualize the relatives of my aunt and uncle in the SC cemetery. Having the "layout" would even help me to know what the tombstones say, exactly.

    And a good pop-up idea for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I had not thought of that! You are right that is a great Halloween idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Billion Graves .com. You can download all the photos and it will show you exactly on the map where they are. You can tag your ancestors and make it very interactive.
    I have downloaded some on BillionGraves.com but not as much as I would like.
    Good Luck
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. First message disappeared I think.
    Try BillionGraves.com It will do all of the above items you mentioned.
    I have done some cemeteries but not as many as I would like.
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that hint. I will go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also check with the cemetery to see if they have maps and then you can just mark the location of your relatives graves. The cemetery where my grandmother is buried gave me a map with the whole cemetery and then the individual sections with how the graves are laid out. And we just marked where the family graves are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to check and see who I would contact about that. More research!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might also check to see if published lists of cemeteries exist for your area. The local historical society in the county where my mother's family originated published four volumes of the cemeteries and who was buried there in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I used them to locate cemeteries relevant to my family. Then I took my digital and Flip cameras to photograph and film them. Eventually I will use all these tools to document them in a family history scrapbook.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete