Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, September 21, 2012

Friends are the best research partners: Next FTF post is up!

 
My next post at Family Tree Firsts is up!  You can read it here.

A few weeks back a group of my friends, who all have a passion for genealogy, got together to share and learn.  We had a great time and it made me think about genealogy societies.  I know, odd train of thought, but bear with me a minute.

Genealogy societies form as a place where people in an area, or with a specific research slant, can come together to learn.  Or at least that is the way I tend to define them.  There was one in the nearest big town to me, about 20 minutes from my house.  However, their meetings have, in the past, been on the same night as meetings for another group I am involved with.  I was a ceremonial officer in the other group for the last 4 years and I needed to be at those meetings.  Unfortunatly the genealogy society appeared to met at no other times.  Yes, I was bummed, but I figured that I would pick it up after my term of office was over.  Well, good intentions and all, I can no longer find working contact information for them and have a sinking feeling that they may no longer be a functioning group.

That is why I was so excited to find like minded people in my other hobby who invited me to come up to the NOVA area and share in a day of genalogical fun!  We did have a great time, and with an amazing set of cooks a great pot luck too.  Yummmm..... fooooooooddddddd.  We just sorta formed our own impromtu informal group.  Those sometimes are the best kind.

We decidedly to meet quarterly and our next meeting is in November.  I seriously can't wait.

Image from the Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment