Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Week 18 of abundant genealogy

Week 18: Historical Books: This week we’re going to shine the spotlight on other historical books that benefit the genealogy field. Do you have a favorite book that falls in this category? What makes this book special to you? How can other genealogists benefit from its content?

I am an amature historian in addition to all the other things I like to do.  Reading about the past has always been interesting to me, and at times entertaining.  Picking just one book... wow, that is very hard.  I have bookcases of history themed books.  All time periods, many places and countries, various cultural endeavors, biographies,  and plus much more.  Putting on my genealogy hat for a moment I will do my best to narrow down the selection into what aids me with this field.

The three shelves of Irish themed books jump off at me first.  In college my husband took as one of his electives a course on Irish history.  I wasn't able to squeeze it into my schedule, but we kept the books.  Then, because we loved out trip to Ireland, and have always felt an affinity to the Irish, we kept picking up more books.  To name a few that have come in handy with Irish Genealogy:

The End of Hidden Ireland Rebellion, Famine, and Emigration.  By Robert James Scally

The Irish Experience a Concise History. By Thomas E. Hachey, Joseph M. Hernon Jr., and Lawrence J. McCaffrey.

Journal of Women's History Vol. 6 No. 4 / Vol. 7 No. 1 Special Double Issue on Irish Women.  Winter Spring 1995


Next on my list of must haves is my heraldry books.  Yes... I am a heraldry geek.  If you love looking at devices, but wonder what in the heck all those symbols mean check out An Heraldic Alphabet by J.P. Brooke-Little, Clarenceux King of Arms.  Fantastic book!!!

Those are my top picks.  Of course it was hard even to stop there.  Books are like my children; I want to show them all off!

No comments:

Post a Comment