This Friday (and a little on Saturday) I will be going to NARA and looking at a some files. A few weeks ago I sent them an email inquiry about how to see files for specific ancestors. To my great surprise and pleasure a very nice research librarian called me back. She very patiently answered my questions and gave me advice on when to show up and how to get my researcher card.
I am making my detailed research list so I don't get off track and go wandering down side paths. There is just one thing I am not completely sure of. What are the most important things to take wtih me?
Here is the list of things I am thinking of taking, by following the rules laid out by NARA here. Do you have any suggestions, additions, or things I should just leave behind?
- iPad, with my research notes on it
- a print out of my research goals, in summary, so I can have it (I sitll like paper in a lot of cases)
- Camera (I don't have a flip pal or other scanner type device)
- Extra batteries, in case camera stops working
- Coins for copier
- pencil, to write on copied paper