Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fearless Females: Marraige

Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.
I do not have the marriage records for either of my grandparents, or great-grandparents or photographs from thier weddings.  In fact until about 2 weeks I go I didn’t even know where my maternal grandparents were married!  (Once again… ask the right questions to the right people and you shall get the answers!)

My uncle told me that his parents were married in a civil ceremony, with my grandfather’s older brother Stan and my grandmother’s older sister Hope as witnesses.  Stan and Hope were married too, which means my mom and her siblings have double cousins running around.  After the service they had roast beef, mashed potatoes, and green beans with cherry pie for dessert.

On my father’s side my grandmother told me about her two services.  Yes I said two.  You see grandpa and her sort of ran away and got married.  She was of legal age, and he had a job in Henderson, Kentucky at a boy’s home.  Only problem, he had to be married.  My grandmas mom was not at all happy, so they left Indiana and were married in Kentucky.  Less than a year later they moved back.  Grandma was expecting my father, and they could not stay at the boy’s home with children. 

In the county records of Daviess County Indiana there is a marriage license on file for 5 months before my father was born.  Great-grandma wouldn’t accept a civil service, and spoke about how her daughter was living in sin around town.  It got to be too much for my grandparents to bear with nosey neighbors and relatives.  They agreed to have another service in the Catholic Church to keep the peace in the family.  For years she hung both certificates of marriage on her living room wall to keep the gossips in town quiet. 

*Image: FlowersByMeredith via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment