Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 8 of Abundant Genealogy

Week 8 – Genealogy Libraries: Genealogy libraries (and dedicated departments in regular libraries) are true treasures in the family history community. Tell us about your favorite genealogy library. What or who makes it special?

I will be honest; I have not made it to any physical genealogy library yet.  I do visit the one around the corner and a larger one further in town 4-5 times a month.  However, both have very small collections for genealogy purposes. Mainly I go there to get away from the house and feel like I am "working" when I need a change of scenery.  I thought I would tell you about a couple libraries, within driving distance, which I really want to go and see.
Headquarters for the Central Rappahannock Regional Library:  This is located in downtown Fredericksburg, Virginia.  They have a collection of over 200,000 publications, many of which are non-circulating.  I have been told, by more than one person, that I need to go and visit the Virginia Reading Room.  From what I understand that is quite a collection of genealogical resources there that I would find quite useful in researching my Virginia ancestors.

Library of Virginia: Located in Richmond, Virginia and also around the corner from the Virginia Genealogical Society.  This has the mother lode of Virginia records to say the least: maps, books, letters, records, and so much more.  I am hoping to get down there to do some research on colonial era ancestors who were land owners in Goochland, Virginia.
Library of Congress: Have to go… and I am not sure I really need to explain why do I?  In fact, I am hoping to go there in a couple weeks while my mother-in-law is in town visiting.  Cross your fingers, I have a list a mile long of books I want to see from their genealogy reading room.

*Image: Lalena Jaramillo via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment