Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, October 17, 2019

RootsTech London 2019 - Final week of preparation

Next Tuesday I am flying to London to attend RootsTech as an ambassador and speaker in their DNA Learning Centre. I am so stinking excited!  If you are going to be there too, let me know. I'd love to see you in person.

Packing has not started yet, but the list-making has. I am not frightened about traveling to Europe solo but each trip is so different. This one will also be for two weeks. Luckily, I will be visiting friends while I am over there who have graciously said I can borrow their washer. Fewer clothes to pack (more room to bring stuff back)!

I do say that I have a few things I must bring. Years of traveling back and forth across the pond means I have refined this list down to the basics to make me happy. If you are attending the conference, maybe there is something on this list you have not thought of yet.


Standard Must-Have Items:

  • Outlet converters. Invest in a good set of converters. You will not only need to plug your electronics in at the hotel but also around the conference. While USB charging stations are becoming more common, not all places have them.
  • Collapsable shopping bag. While we may get one from the conference carrying your own collapsible bag is a necessity. That way you will not end up with tons of single-use bags when you run to the local market or do some light shopping. Plus, most places give you a discount for bringing your own bag!
  • Small Umbrella and warm coat. It's the UK...need I say more?!

Airplane Needs:

  • Blanket and eye mask. Yup, I bring my own. I invested in a great fleece blanket that folds up into its own zippered bag. I find the blankets on the plane to thin, and I always freeze on flights. Also, I like having an extra blanket to wrap up in while I am at the hotel. A little piece of home while away!
  • Freshen up bag. I never get to check in right after landing so having a bag of things that will get me feeling human after traveling in a metal tube for five hours is a must. So, I make sure to have a small overnight bag in my carry on. In it, I have wet wipes, travel-size toothbrush and paste, travel size mouth wash, comb, hand lotion, chapstick, and deodorant. Also, this way I do not need to dig through a suitcase to find these items when I land.
  • Headphones with a plug. I love my wireless headphones, but inflight entertainment still means you need an old fashioned plugin set of headphones. While some airlines will give you a set (or sell them to you) having my own that I love to wear is so much better.

Conference Needs:

  • Business cards. You will want to get your name out there. Make sure to have plenty to hand out to all your new friends.
  • Refillable water bottle. Genealogists are notorious about getting dehydrated at conferences. Take your water bottle and keep it full!!
  • Notebook. Not only to take notes while you are in classes but also to record thoughts, ideas, information to follow up on, and even journal your experiences. So much to write about!


Miscellaneous Thoughts: 

  • Make sure to photocopy your passport. Leave a copy at home and take a copy with you. Just in case you lose your actual passport you can use the copy at the embassy to get a new one. 
  • Call your credit card companies and let them know you are out of the country. That way they will not freeze your cards while you are away. 
  • Use a bank card with no transaction fees. I love my bank card!! No transaction fees when I pay for items in Euros or Pounds (an option you can choose at checkout). Plus you get better conversion rates. Ask your bank and credit company if they do this. 
  • Carry cash. No joke! Places in the UK use cash more than we do in the US. More than once I have been caught off guard by a cab, restaurant, or merchant that was not happy about taking a credit card. 


Well, those are some of my must-have items. I could write pages! What are your must-have items?

No comments:

Post a Comment