Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, January 22, 2016

Things to do during snow-pocalypse…plan for RootsTech

Sitting here in my office watching the snow pile up outside is not helping me with “Stuff” I should be doing.  I would really like to sit in front of the fire with a good book, but instead I am being responsible!  Rootstech is a week away!!!

I can hardly believe that in just over a week I will be on a plane heading to Salt Lake City.  If you are going to be there, make sure you stop by and say “Hi!” to me at the In-Depth Genealogist Booth.  Or as a matter of fact, any time you see me.  I love chatting.

As the planner and organizing that I am my lists are already started.  So much to do, so much to see, so few hours in the day!  Be that as it may, here are a few things that I learned from last year about attending RootsTech.  So, I am passing some of my wisdom onto you.

Do you have the app?
Yes, RootsTech has an amazing app, and it is free.  Download it to your mobile device so you can keep track of your friends, your schedule, have a map of the facility at your fingertips, plus stay on top of announcements and information from/about RootsTech. 

Doing Research? The cloud is your friend!
Seriously, I couldn’t believe the number of people who were lugging around giant notebooks of information in their carry-ons.  People, it is the 21st century, we need to embrace it.  Trust me, your back is not going to survive otherwise.  Upload documents, databases, and all sorts of files to your favorite cloud site.  Set you mobile work station up (computer, iPad, or etc.) and then go to town.  Everything you need is there and no need for you to lug binders on plane, trains, or automobiles! 

Bring snacks and a water bottle
The first day of the conference last year I had a horrible headache the avalanched into a migraine.  Why? Well, a combination of things but mainly dehydration and low sugar.  Medication, a dark quite place, and a granola bar brought me back to rights.  However, it is very easy for anyone to get ill in such a large place if they don’t take care of themselves.  You will not have any fun if you pass out!  Carry a refillable water bottle and a small snack with you, that way you can have a quick pick me up when needed.

Contact Cards
While you can get great deals on business cards at places like Vista Print even homemade ones are a great thing to carry with you at large conferences like this.  You never know who you are going to meet and want to keep in touch with afterwards.  I suggest getting ones that are blank on one side so you can write a note on the back.  That way when the person gets home they can remember why you gave them the card to begin with!



1 comment:

  1. The high altitude also affects some people more than others.

    ReplyDelete