Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Guest post: A Glimpse In Time

Recently I was asked to write a blog post for America's Footprints.  If you have not heard of them before they are a website that specializes in helping people write their own memoirs.  Essentially they give members a chance to make their "footprint" on history.

My first blog post for them went live on the 19th, and I hope you like it.  It was one of my favorite memories and I was so happy I could share it.  Below is the intro to the blog, if you would like to read the rest go check it out on America's Footprints Blog.

A Glimpse In Time - If Your Pictures Could Talk, What Would They Say? 
Recently I was unpacking boxes filled with photo albums with my youngest child.  I didn’t realize he had stopped helping me unpack until I heard him ask me what something was.
 “Mom, where are you in this picture?”
 Bending down for a better look I saw he had my travel journal from my trip to Europe in 1997.  I sat down next to him on the floor as the memories and experiences from that time flooded back into my memory.
 “That sweetie is me and my parents’ dog Sam.  We are in a field of rapeseed on a hill above the village they lived in while in Germany.”  It is one of my favorite pictures from that trip.  Sam was a Brittany spaniel who had just started to grey around the muzzle. I was in my junior year of college with the world in front of me.  The hillsides for as far as you could see were yellow from the flowers and I thought it would be a perfect picture.  I asked my boyfriend to snap the shot and I crouched down behind the dog. 
 I loved that dog, and I loved the walks we took when I would visit my parents while in college.  That was the first picture in my 6 week journal for that summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment