Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book of my written by you: Halloween

2012 Halloween Costume.  Yes, a witch.
I have written several times on different Halloween topics in this blog, and seeing as it is in a few days it only makes sense that the next prompt in this series is on this subject as well.  This is one of my favorite times of year.  The colors, the crisp air, the smells, the food, I could go on and on.  I have so many wonderful memories from when I was a child and also taking my children out that it was very difficult to pick just one.  So, I didn’t.  Instead I want to share with you some of my favorite memories, and maybe give you a laugh along the way.  Hope you enjoy!

The Swamp Thing From Arvin Pond
I always had homemade costumes.  Only one time can I remember my parents splurging on a costume and that was because as a 4/5 year old I had succumbed to TV marketing and had to have this weird blow up head thingy that EVERYONE was going to wear (do you remember kooky spooks? I had the black cat).  Anyway, like I was saying, usually they were homemade whatever you could find lying around the house costumes.  When I was in 2nd grade I was the “Swamp Thing From Arvin Pond.” 

My dad put this one together.  I wore a snorkeling mask, had the breathing tube thingy for snorkeling, and then was wrapped in a white sheet.  Yep, that was it.  Since we lived out in the country trick-or-treating consisted of going to my local great aunts and uncles houses.  I got caramel apples, homemade peanut brittle, toffee, but best of all was a piece of my great aunt Jean’s fresh out of the oven lemon meringue pie. 

It was so good; the lemon smell, still warm, creamy and tangy with the light fluff on top.  Yumm!  I can still remember her bringing it out of the oven and putting a piece in front of the swamp thing so it would leave the family alone that night.  Oh yeah, she really played it up.

Mom’s Mini-Me
At ten I was the almost same height as my mother.  I also had the same shoe size, which did not please her at all.  There was a six month time frame where I ruined almost every pair of shoes she had because I wanted to wear them, and they fit, so I did.  Anyway, this was a good thing when once again it was Halloween and I needed a costume.  Never being one to plan things out way in advance I was asked at school to go trick-or-treating with a friend in her neighborhood.  I had 2 hours, what was I going to wear.

Mom was home that night, amazingly enough.  She was in her 3rd year of medical school and it was a rare that I saw her.  So, when she found me desperately searching through my closet for something to wear she stopped me, brought me into her room, and handed me her uniform.  With the assistance of my mom she dressed me up in her BDUs, put her combat boots on my feet, painted my face, and gave me a rucksack to carry my candy in.  It was AWESOME!

Even better, was when I was trick-or-treating and one of the houses we went to was the home of her classmate.  At first she confused me from my mom until she realized that under that get-up was her daughter.

Pumpkins or Turnips
We always, ALWAYS, carve pumpkins.  Sometimes we toast the seeds, sometimes not, but the pumpkins must be carved!  In college I took a folklore class as one of my electives and I read a story about carving turnips instead.  Well I had this brilliant idea that instead of pumpkins that year we would have carved turnips.

Now turnips are small, really small, but hat was not going to stop me!  I carved 8 turnips until I had blisters on my hands and my fingers ached.  They were really cool though, and we did get quite a few comments from the parents of trick-or-treaters. 


The next time I had this brilliant idea…I went for the rutabaga instead.  They are just a really large turnips, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment