Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, March 4, 2013

Fearless Females Posts for Women's History Month



I am a bit behind already this month, and I was looking forward to participating in the Fearless Females prompts by the Accidental Genealogist.  Well…better late than never I guess right?

This is the 4th year that Lisa Alzo has done her Fearless Females prompts for the month of March.  March is Woman’s History month which leads to this perfect way to celebrate your female ancestors.  She provides a prompt for each day; however you don’t have to write each one.  You can pick and choose, or write about the women in your family who have inspired you. 

If you don’t have a blog to write on, consider picking up a journal or typing out your response to her writing prompts.  It would be a great keepsake for future generations.  Let Lisa know if you do this.  I am sure she would love to hear about it.

My posts from last year’s March prompts are located under the Fearless Female Tags on this site.  Feel free to go check out who I wrote about in the past.

So, without further ado, my first post honoring my female ancestors for Women’s History Month.


Post a photo of one of your female ancestors.  Who is in the photo? 
When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?

This picture is of my grandmother, Maxine Armstrong Arvin.  It was taken at the Sky Club 1630 N. Harlem Ave, Chicago, Illinois.  My mother thinks it was taken in the late 1940s when my grandfather did a short tour of duty in Chicago. 

I recently discovered this picture at my parents’ house and fell in love with it.  She is so carefree and happy in the picture.  Her smile is contagious too; I can’t help but smile when I look at it!  At this point she has everything she could hope for in her life.  A little boy, her husband has returned from WWII, and they are really beginning their life together.   She had second chance after not knowing where my grandfather was or if he was going to survive being a POW. 

The cover to the picture intrigued me too.  What was the Sky Club?  I quickly found out that it was a restaurant and dance hall that featured live music and the latest entertainers.  The Illinois Digital Archives had several pictures and advertisements from the club.  The menu looked delicious, especially the lamb for $1.50.

2 comments:

  1. It is a great photo. If I could go back in time I would really love to visit one of the dinner/dance clubs from the 1940s!

    ReplyDelete