Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Week 49 of Abundant Genealogy

Week 49: Research Location. Which genealogy research location or city brings a smile to your face? What makes this place special to you? What family history treasures does it hold for you? Why should others visit this place?

File:Cherry Blossoms and Washington Monument.jpgHands down, so far, my favorite place to research is Washington, D.C.  Yes, I know, I don’t live that far from it, but there are so many places to have a genealogical adventure there.  You could go to The National Archives, Library of Congress, DAR Library, NGS, plus many other places of interest to genealogists and historians.  If you have never had an opportunity to visit or research at these places you should make the time.

I never knew what family treasurers NARA held for me until I saw the pension files I requested last spring.  Among my family discoveries were War of 1812 discharge papers, letters written home from the Civil War, a picture, and amazing genealogical information.  It was the most amazing experience.

Next up I have plans to visit the other places on the list above.  Just have to carve out the time and find a sitter...

*Image from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment