Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday!!

 
One year ago today I wrote my first ever blog post.  I was petrified.  It had taken months for me to work up the courage to actually set-up the blog and put that first timid post out there.  To be honest I think I fretted more about the design than the actual post.  I looked at it for at least 30 minutes before I clicked the publish button.  Little did I know that 4 days later I would also become the 2nd Family Tree Firsts Blogger.

Then I waited, and wondered.  Who out there besides the few friends I had who liked genealogy, my husband, parents, and mother-in-law would read this.  It was amazing when I had my first comment from someone unrelated to me.  I nearly passed out the first time I had more than 20 reads in one day, let alone the first time I had over 1,000 reads in a month.  It appeared that people were actually READING this blog.  Wow was about all I could think, and it made me want to research, share, and write more.

To say it has been an amazing whirlwind of a year would be an understatement.  It has changed my life.  No, really, it has.  I am a more confident writer and researcher.  I have met amazing people who are dear friends to me, even if I have never met them in real life.  I am looking to my future in this field and I am excited about it. 

So, on that note, what are my goals for the upcoming year?  I have thought long and hard about this, and have decided on the following list:
  • Finalize and submit all paperwork to the DAR as well as the GSMD for me and my husband.
  • Continue to write and work towards further publication opportunities.
  • Research the possibilities for certification.
  • Attend one national conference.
Yes, I am being ambitious but, like I have been told, I might as well shoot for the moon because even if I miss I will still land in the stars.   Thank you for reading, thank you for returning to see what I am up to, and thank you for all your support. 

Here is to a great second year!
 
photo credit: Here's Kate via photopin cc

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a very successful first year. I hope to join you in the DAR submission process this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made grand strides in the past year! It's been a pleasure watching your journey and cheering you on :-)

    -Barbara R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Shannon! Hope we see many more years ahead!!

    ReplyDelete