Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Week 13 of Abundant Genealogy

Local genealogical and historical societies are the lifeblood of genealogy. Members and volunteers give their time and money to preserve local history and promote family history. Tell us about a local society for which you are thankful.

This is where I hang my head in shame and admit that I do not participate on the local level in any genealogy community.  Unless you count the local chapter of the DAR that I will become a full member of when my paperwork is completed.  I have attended two meetings, and have already become a nuisance.  You know, raising my hand and asking a lot of questions!

I wrote to the Fredericksburg Virgina Regional Genealogy Society (FRGS) about a year ago looking to interact and get more insights into this new hobby I was picking up.  Unfortunately, their meeting night is the same night as another group I belong to, and as an officer person I need to be at the other meetings.  Luckily my term is up this June, so perhaps I can look into it more then.

Beyond that, I am a member of the New England Historic Genealogy Society (NEHGS). I have thought about becoming a member of the Virginia Genealogical Society and the Indiana Genealogical Society.  Chase those roots to the source!

*Image from wikimedia commons:  Silas M. Clark House, 621 Wayne Ave at South Sixth Street, (Borough of) Indiana, Pennsylvania. Built 1869-1870. Home of the Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County. Had been known as "History House" and "Memorial Hall".

No comments:

Post a Comment