Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, January 6, 2012

St. Louis fire records being restored

While out poking around today I found an article about the restoration of the damaged records from the 1973 St. Louis archive fire.  It was published in the St. Louis Beacon this past Sunday, and you can read the full article here.

For those of you who don’t know what I am talking about, here is a brief history lesson.  In 1973 a fire ripped through The National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  Millions of records on military service of thousands of people were lost or damaged.  You can read more about it at the National Archives.   My family has a personal interest in this as my Grandfather had his service records stored there.  For years my mother tried to get her father’s records, but the answer was always "I am sorry they were stored in St. Louis."  Maybe, someday in the future, his records will be among the ones to be restored.  Here’s to hoping! 

*Image from Wikipedia of the St. Louis fire

3 comments:

  1. That's very good news! I hope for great success in this project.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a long road ahead of them, but it is fantastic that they are now able to salvage some of the records. Technology advances are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so future promising thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete